Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Dentists

I had to go to the dentist today to get a crown done. The molar had been bothering me for quite a long time, but with insurance and schedules we finally were able to start the process today. I have to make one comment right now.... "I HATE DENTISTS!" To me, visiting the dentist is like going in for medieval torture. I mean, the dentist could be the nicest, greatest guy/gal in the world but they still instill such dread in my heart. After 5 shots of novacaine in my jaw ("your jaw's gonna be a bit sore for awhile when the numbness wears off") we finally got things so that I didn't feel a lot in my tooth while the dentist was working on it. Ok, so I still felt a little bit, but after 5 shots I was just to the point of, "I'll grip the arm rests, just get this sucker done!" Well, there was a point when he was giving me the shots that he nudged my shoulder and said, "breathe, don't forget to breathe." Ok, so I WAS holding my breath. Now the temporary crown is on (it's a little high so my bite is off a bit) and I hope it lasts until the permanent crown is made by the lab. I have a history of losing the temporary crowns, and no, using toothpaste to stick them back on does NOT work, so my dentist sent me home with some glue and instructions to "mix the two, put a bit in the temporary crown and stick it back on." Since he's going to be gone for the weekend, I figured this was the best solution since I wouldn't be able to call him to put it back on should I lose it. I think I can handle this just fine. I'll be very glad when this one's fixed and I hope it's the last for awhile.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amanda and Nathan said...

(shutter) Maybe I won't go to a dentist about my "broken tooth". That or I'm going to have to find a dentist that will put me under for the procedure.

8:37 AM  
Blogger ME said...

Well, if the tooth doesn't hurt, you have no worries. My tooth had been let go so long, I was no longer able to chew on it. Normally crowns are a piece of cake, the one I had done last year was quick and easy and totally pain free. This one was just an extreme situation. But, I am going to be so glad to finally be pain free with this tooth and able to chew on that side again.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

It had been so long since I visited the dentist that last year when I made myself go, I ended up almost bitting the dentist and having 6 cavities. Sucks big time - I feel your pain....I had about 15 shots of novacaine before the whole process was finished.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home